Tuesday, March 30, 2010

In the air, on the ground, in the water

They are there, they always have been as long as mankind can remember.
We loathe the harmful ones and we admire the ones we find cute or pretty. Some we try to keep out of our houses, with others we decorate the houses or even adorn ourselves as you will see.
We use sprays on them and old house remedies or we carry them outside carefully as to not hurt their fragile beauty.
We go ewww or aaaah, depending on which ones cross our way.

Do you know what I'm talking about? Insects.


Maybe I am a little strange. To me there are no ugly animals. Granted, I wouldn't be happy about cockroaches in my house (and now I apologize if somebody thinks this is not a subject for a jewelry blog), but I still think they are fascinating. At a dragonfly or a butterfly I could stare forever, yes, I have been known to follow them to be able and watch them as long as possible.

Nature is very creative. Who else would have thought of making millions of little critters with a three-part body, three pairs of jointed legs, compound eyes and two antennae? We are talking between six and ten million species existing at this moment.
Who but Nature would have thought of taking a caterpillar and changing it into a beautiful butterfly like these ones by For You Designs?


Dragonflies are beautiful as well, but also dangerous. You didn't know? I learned about it from Snoopy who told Woodstock that dragonflies sew sleeping people's lips together. Actually dragonflies were and in some areas still seem to be called "Devil's darning needle". As Luzie tells Snoopy and Woodstock, though, they can't really do that, and they don't sting, either.
That means that you can wear this pretty necklace by The Family Jewels without a worry.


Last but not least I want to show you a piece I admire in particular. It's a praying mantis by Catherinette Rings. I love how the artist captured the way a mantis poses!
I'm also in love with his spiders, but I couldn't feature one of them as spiders are no insects.

Now I just hope I didn't creep you out too much. Why don't you give a bug a chance the next time you see one? Get a little closer and take a look at the fine details of the antennae, the colors, the body. Maybe it will inspire you.

Featuring artisan handmade creations by the Etsy Starving Artists Jewelry Team. SATeam members create handcrafted jewelry and beads. More information about our team and its current Etsy shop owner members can be found at SATEAM.etsy.com.

10 comments:

mcstoneworks said...

Cat, great post. I love insects too, especially dragonflies and butterflies. Spiders don't even bother me. Roaches - not so much.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful article. I like insects too and do my best not to harm them.

Caron Michelle said...

What a fabulous post!

RocknWow said...

Behind glass, on TV they're awesome. Crawling on me not so much. I'm a...you leave me alone I'll leave you alone guy...except for roaches. Call me Captain Crunch.

I love your blog.

Happileerving said...

Thanks Cat for an interesting post about insects. I share your opinion when the STAY outside.

tjrjewellery said...

Great job Cat! I try not to intentionally harm insects, but apart from a few spiders, I like my house bug free!

Oh, the jewellery selections were great as well :-)

Unknown said...

Great post Cat! Daniel's critters are just amazing!

Ava said...

Insects eek! But the artwork is lovely.

Katalina Jewelry said...

What an entertaining post Cat! I enjoyed the insect info and loved the beautiful jewelry!

Katalina Jewelry said...

Very entertaining post Cat! Beautiful jewelry!